Sunday, July 28, 2013

You Are Soooo Good Looking

Hi everyone! Hope you all had a wonderful weekend! Tonight I think we should talk about accepting compliments!

Why is accepting a compliment so hard? Either you actually disagree or you think that denying it will make you appear more humble. However, denying a compliment just creates an awkward situation, even if you don't mean to, you're pretty much saying "Take all your niceness and SHOVE IT".

Simple fix:
 Just smile and say "Thanks" simple enough and you can go about your day as usual.

If someone is complementing something you have:
Nice shoes, cute top, cool phone case etc. Say thanks and tell them how you acquired it. "Thanks, I got them on sale at Country Clothes". Do this because usually (not always) these compliments are used as conversation starters, so this will keep it going. Now you come off as nice and helpful. If you, for whatever reason, don't want them to know where you got it  "It was a gift".

If someone compliments something about you yourself:
You're a good artist, you're funny, you're a good listener, etc. These are what people usually have trouble with. You're response will vary depending on the specifics of the scenario. "Aw thanks you're too kind" is a good standby for this type of compliment, half deflected but still accepted. If you find the compliment heartwarming, you can go with the classic "Thanks, that means a lot" it's simple and makes the other person happy too.

Here are some examples for specific scenarios:
"You're funny"
"Thanks, I'm here all week"

"You're show was awesome"
"Thanks, I had fun"

"You have a nice place"
"Thanks, make yourself at home"

"You look great"
"I couldn't have done it with out Shaun T, my trainer"

"Great advice"
"I'm glad I could help"

"You're so humble"
"I know"

I hope this was helpful! If you have anything specific you want answered feel free to let me know and I'll do my best to help out.  I hope you all have a fantastic week!

No comments:

Post a Comment