Sunday, July 21, 2013

A Few Things I Wish I Had Been Told Sooner in Life

Hi everyone! Hope you are all had a good weekend!

Many of my friends through out the years have come to me for advice about every day issues they are having whether it is relationship trouble or issues at work or school. Now, my advice does vary depending on the specifics of the issue but there always seems to be an underlying theme that can be applied to many life issues. In one word: Confidence.


Want to get a boyfriend? Confidence

What to make new friends? Confidence
Want to be more of a trend setter? Confidence
Want to convince anyone of anything? Confidence
Want to be able to wear a pine cone on your head? Confidence

It's truly shocking the things you can get away with if you just do it with the utmost confidence.


Now, I know what you're thinking "But Shannon, you can't just be confident, some people are and some people aren't, your advice stinks and I hate you"  Whoa, keep calm and read on, my friends. Anyone can exude confidence (whether they are or not).


Confidence is actually a generally easy thing to fake, and after you fake it enough it just becomes second nature and before you know it you are the confident strong person you've always wanted to be!


How do you fake confidence? Well there are a few very simple tips and tricks to appear more confident.


1. Posture 

Keep your back straight and your shoulders back. Keep your head up when you're walking around. This was a little difficult for me at first because I was so used to slouching and keeping my eyes on the floor as I walked around but with a little effort standing up straight and looking up became second nature. 

Why does posture make a difference? Good posture shows that you have respect for yourself, and people tend to respect people that respect themselves.


2. Eye Contact

When you are having a conversation with a person, friend or stranger, look them in the eyes. Again, its a little strange a first but the more you do it, you'll become more comfortable with it and you won't feel like you're having some sort of weird staring contest with the person.

Why does eye contact make a difference? When you look at a person in the eyes it appears as though you are fully focused on them and care what they are saying. I don't have to tell you why people like that.


3. Be Honest

Let me be clear, when asked for your opinion, be honest but for the love of all that is holy be kind. If someone asks you if their hideous hat look good on them, don't just blurt out "KILL IT WITH FIRE" though you might want too. Instead tell them simply they look better without it.

Why is honesty important? People will respect your opinion way more if they're not always hearing "Yea looks good" every time they ask. It will give you some credibility and people want that in the people they hangout with.


With these 3 simple things you will be well on your way to being a stronger more confident you. I could probably write a book about this but I didn't want to overwhelm anyone on the first post. I hope this helps a few of you! If you want me to post more on this topic or if you have any other topics you'd like me to post about, just let me know in the comments :)

2 comments:

  1. Thank you! I loved this article.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, that's so good to hear! Thanks for your feedback :)

      Delete